Friday, February 19, 2010

Date Night

It's Date Night, and I haven't planned anything.  My husband just called to say he was looking forward to it, and did I have any ideas of what I'd like to do?

A few years ago, we started going to the movies a lot.  I think I see every movie I'm interested in before it hits video these days.

When I was young and single, I had disgust for people who went to movies on a date.  If you were going to spend a couple hours with someone and get to know them, it was stupid to do so at the movies where you could hardly interact.

Today is cloudy and rainy and mostly what I want to do is climb under the covers with a good book.  I've already been at a PTA meeting, then I've got to go to the doctor, then take our pet to the vet where I'll probably inquire about putting the poor thing out of its misery, then kid pickups and kid negotiation through homework and chores.  At least the house is clean.  But the laundry has stacked up after an all-day power outage and I don't see when I'll get to it.  And tomorrow we throw a big party.

My 25-year-old self would be shocked at me.  Even my 35-year-old self would be quite disappointed.  Now that the kids are older I have a lot more options for a weekly date.  We can travel even to the near large cities, we can stay away longer, we don't need to hire a babysitter.  You'd think I'd be going to the opera, seeing plays, art galleries, and all the things I dreamed I'd do when I was an undergrad.   I've never been in a batting cage--can I do that?  Last night I turned down the chance to accompany my husband to some avant guard music recital, because I didn't want to deal with the fallout of what happens to unsupervised kids who want to avoid their homework.

Phooey, my job rating as a spouse right now would be very low, if anyone objective were doing the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment